Sunday, August 25, 2013

Skyline Kicks My Butt

This evening, Chris and I decided to do some hiking on the Skyline Trail in Palm Springs. We were aware that the tram at the top of the Skyline Trail was closed for maintenance, but, I think because maybe we're nuts, we figured that if we made it to the top, we would just turn around and hike back down. No big deal, right? We didn't get started until around 6pm or so -- it's still very hot (100+ degrees) in the desert during the day.

Mt. San Jacinto surrounded by clouds…so beautiful.

This is the "proper" start of the Skyline Trail, which begins behind the Palm Springs Museum. I'd never been here before, as the times that I have hiked Skyline in the past, we've always started at the North Lykken Trial and then met up with the Skyline Trail after a few miles.





We came across big horn sheep a few times. Every time that we saw them, there were more of them. They move incredibly fast on the steep rocky terrain of this trail!






Palm Springs at night

We climbed to the 4,300ft marker (only halfway up!) and turned around to head back down. This was so exhausting for me! I haven't really done any serious hiking in over a month and it shows. I think that, if the tram was running and we could've ridden it back down in the morning after reaching the top, I might have been more open to the idea of going up the rest of the way. But hell no. Not tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment