Sunday, May 5, 2013

A Different Kind of Race on Cinco de Mayo

For Cinco de Mayo, I had naturally been thinking Mexican food, margaritas, the usual. The Mexican food did happen -- Uly and I got fish tacos at a Southern California staple -- a chain restaurant called Wahoo's. I ate them before I took a picture of them (which seems to be a trend of mine lately).

After fish tacos, what's next? Margaritas? Tequila shots? Sombreros and maracas? Visit Mexico? No! Uly had something else in mind. 

A winery -- with wiener dog races!


This is the "starting gate". The owners stand behind the finish line and call the dogs once the gate is opened.


They had races for puppies, seniors, a regular race, and a "mixed" race (I guess any dachshund mix). The winners of these races went on to the final race. And the top dog in that race was then crowned the winner of the "Dexter's Derby".



The finish line. Some of the dogs would get confused (or bored) in the 2.7 seconds from the start to the finish, and turn around after about a second and look sort of lost. Many of them ran to people who were not their owners at the finish. Some of them were running each other off the "track" and nipping at each other. There was some intense competition.

This dog came within an inch of the finish line and then turned around and headed back in the opposite direction. I think this would be a Chandler move, if he were to compete in a race.


Me and Uly wine tasting -- lots of wine!

Then, we went to Uly's friend's house for a Cinco de Mayo party. There was good food and lots of beer. One of the men at the party asked to borrow my necklace, and he went around the room holding it over peoples hands. Depending on the different ways it swung (circular motions, back and forth, etc.), he told them how many children they would have during their lives, including the children they already had, if they had any. It was pretty cool to watch and, according to the people he was doing it to who already had children, completely accurate.

In case you are wondering, I declined this offer when it came to me personally.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE that doggy race, so funny! and my friend Liv from school has told me about this necklace trick...never really believed it, though, and I don't know if I'd want it to be done to me, either! -kel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the wiener dog races were cool -- you should see if you can find one to go to, I think they do em all over the place. As for the necklace thing, I don't know what to think about the truth of it, but I knew I didn't want to have to think about it at all personally.

      Delete