Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Hiking in Idyllwild

Today, I went hiking in Idyllwild -- a very small and remote artsy mountain town that it takes a long time to get to. The drive up was beautiful. This is a far cry from the desert that you've been seeing so many photos of.

Me, Maria and Udi. I'm putting my microspikes on so I don't faceplant or fall off the mountain. Speaking of faces, in reality, mine isn't as white as the snow.

Lots of snow up here, but it was warm (see tank-topped and t-shirted gals in above photo).

I wish you could see what it really looked like. The mountains seem to continue forever.


Deer!

I was told that this is the grave of a guy who committed suicide here about five years ago and asked his friends to bury him in the woods (not in that order). I actually looked it up, and all I could find was that he was a hiker found dead in a stream bed. I don't know if it's true that he committed suicide or is buried here, but this is either a grave marker or a memorial.


Suicide Rock has nothing to do with the above-referenced guy who killed himself. Suicide Rock is so-named because of a legend about a man and woman from two different Native American tribes who were forbidden to be together, so they jumped off the cliff and killed themselves so that they could "be together".

Cheers! "Wine tasting" before heading back down.


Heading down in the dark. Pizza and beer after!


No comments:

Post a Comment