Saturday, July 6, 2013

San Bernardino Peak

Today, Chris, Kevin and I did a 16-mile, 4,600ft gain roundtrip hike up to San Bernardino Peak, which sits at 10,649ft and is part of the San Gorgonio Wilderness.



A cool thing about a lot of the hikes out here, if I haven't said it before, is the varied landscapes that you walk through. Sometimes there's trees, then there's bushes, then rocky stuff, then just open, exposed sandy stuff, etc. It's always changing. Which is fun.




An unwanted friend.

Kevin and Chris. Taking a quick break.

That's a dry riverbed down there. I'm pretty sure it's the same one we cross when hiking San Gorgonio.

Beautiful views!




Washington's Monument. In 1852, Colonel Henry Washington and his Army survey party erected this monument atop San Bernardino Peak, which became the east-west reference point from which all future surveys of Southern California were taken. This is it today.

Big Bear Lake. You may recall that I went to Big Bear a few months back. This is a different view, from much further away.


Chris, Jess and Kevin at the peak!

This is the peak. You'll have to take my word for it. There's no sign.

This was a fun hike, and one that does not seem to be terribly popular. We saw only a few people on the trail. Beautiful views + good trails - huge crowd = my kind of hike :) I think I want to do this one again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment